Friday, January 7, 2011

Travel/South Carolina State

It's been another long travel day for UMES basketball as we left the Hytche at approximately midnight.  After driving over eight hours, we landed at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. As a Midwest girl, I think I've only been to one maybe once or twice in my life, but I do know people who would have been super excited.  Once we sat at the table, Bret immediately reached for the Peg game.  The entire staff tried "winning." I was able to get it down to two pegs, Bret always got three and I'm not sure about the coaches.  It was just funny looking at their table and seeing all three of them just immersed in trying to figure it out.  The best part?  The little girl (probably about 4) at the table next to us definitely got it.  (Maybe she had help from her dad?)



After breakfast, we had a ton of hotel issues that had to be worked out.  Long story short, our whole travel party spent at least three hours in either the bus or one of the hotel meeting rooms.  I was so ready for just a bed and pillow!  Later in the afternoon we headed to practice at the Smith-Hammond-Middleton Memorial Center (Bret was extremely thankful that they call it the SHM!).

Coach Brown, who both played and coached at South Carolina State, told us the origins of the name... I was shocked.  Read more about it here.




Championship banners and an NCAA bid banner - both teams that Coach Brown was with


Athletic Trainer Randi Kaplan works to get Josh Bright back to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment